Friday, March 5, 2010

The Heroic Journey!!

=D

This week was by far my favorite read! I loved all of the books listed in their own way. I chose to read the Hobbit because it is a personal favorite of mine and i hadn't read it in a long time. I didn't get a chance to read the illustrated version which I have seen before but haven't ever had a chance to take any real time for. To be honest I would have liked to read the Lord of the Rings series of which I have book two and three at my house, but have never had a chance to read them because I never got around to buying the first book. I have heard though that there is a lot of needless detail in them so some parts can be rather laborious to try and read.

When re reading the Hobbit I had to much fun not only re living the tale but to have my friends read it at the same time and be able to talk about it at lunch and so on was really fun. I love Middle Earth especially the elves and their beautiful city. My favorite part of the book was nearing the end when Bilbo had to sneak through Smaug's lair. I really liked how the room was described and the beauty you can just imagine little Bilbo tip-toeing around this HUGE room with his giant red dragon and piles of gold and jewels. As a game designer it was really fun to imagine that scene and how it would be rendered.

In fact I have the game The Hobbit for Playstation 2. It was really silly but also really fun to play, though had little resemblance to the book besides the major key points. It was really fun to play originally and I loved the same scene, of Bilbo in Smaug's lair. You had to tip-toe around the piles of gold without stepping on them to get to Smaug. It was actually really entertaining. The game was made for a younger audience I think so I breezed through it. Someday I hope to also play the Lord of the Rings games, though as far as I know they are online games and you have to pay to play so maybe scratch that idea...

I absolutely LOVE the Hobbit and give it a 10/10 for being a childhood favorite and overall masterpiece of fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment