Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Journey to the Center of the Earth - movie

I watched the movie Journey to the Center of the Earth with Brendan Fraser actually only being interested in watching the movie after remembering my trip to Japan where I went to Tokyo Disney and went on a ride called Journey to the Center of the Earth. I had read and heard things prior to this movie, mainly about it being really cheesy and horrible....and I'm sad to say that they were right.

The movie opens with a man being chased by a Tyrannosaurus Rex. Later in the development of the story you realize that this opening scene was supposed to be scary and horrible for the character who id being chased, but all I could do was bust out laughing at the hilarity of this sight of a man running away from this giant T-Rex. It could be because of my scud sense of humor but I really felt no remorse later in the story when you find out that the character, who was the main characters brother, was in fact dead.

The story was interesting and the science behind it was kind of neat to think about. There have been many other "center of the earth" movies and stories that I have seen, but none of them evolved a prehistoric shell being inside the earth. The logic fail for me was the pure science of the beginning, and then a total crashing of logic for when they are inside the earth. Random bits of knowledge are thrown in but, the fact is that the closer to the center of the earth they would get the hotter it would be.....logically speaking. They would be cooked alive and that drives me insane to think about this fanciful tail of this story not factoring that in....

Granted it was for a young audience originally in 3D and such....so many the book that it was based off of would be better and more a more mature audience.

I give this movie a 3/10 for logic fails and totally playing towards the "look what we can do" visuals rather than making the viewer attached to the characters and feel for the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment